Thursday, February 21, 2008

Podcasting

I agree with Beth, when she says that podcasting is a more personal, yet high tech way to reach an audience. I like hearing a voice it makes the person on the other end seem much more human and anyone who has listened to a lot of podcasts knows they can be all to human. Along with great content you get the added benefit of slips of the tongue, congested casters and even the occasional sneeze into the mic. You would think that with all these faux pas it would detract from content put it usually doesn't. If the person doing the podcast knows what it is they are talking about they can be a great way to broaden your knowledge base on a topic with minimal investment of time.

For years I have subscribed to This Week in Tech, a tremendously geeky podcast about the latest in the world of computers and technology in general. The guys know there stuff, even if they did at one point say that there was no way on God's green Earth that Google would buy YouTube. Even experts can't be right all the time.

The other podcast I subscribed to was Uncontrolled Vocabulary which comes highly recommended. As many of you know I am still new to library land and the more perspective in the library world I can get the better. I will also being checking out other library podcasts but I have not committed to any others at the moment.

The one thing that I have found with podcasting is that if you have a bunch of feeds coming in (I had ten coming into ITunes at one point), the less likely you were to keep up with any of them. Unlike blogs the podcast files can add up to substantial amounts of used space on your computer. At one point I had several Gigs of podcasts that I had no hope of catching up with. This is even worse for Vodcasting (video podcasting).

No comments: